Rutherford Cross is delighted to partner with a hugely ambitious, Glasgow based SME as it continues to grow through acquisitions. The business is looking to appoint a qualified accountant to support the CFO and Head of Operational Finance by taking ownership of all financial controls and reporting.
The finance team plays a key role in how the business operates and therefore a deep understanding of each area of the business is required. The pace and diversity of the group throws up new and exciting challenges on a daily basis. The Financial Accountant position represents a fantastic opportunity for a driven and robust individual with first class technical accounting capabilities.
In order to be successful, the post-holder requires a high degree of flexibility, proactivity, and a mind-set that is very detailed focused whilst always maintaining an awareness of the bigger picture.
It also offers the opportunity to gain exposure to the private equity sector, and be part of a rapidly expanding buy and build growth story.
The company will offers a firm career platform with future opportunities for personal development and progression, and will provide the successful candidate with skills and experience which will underpin their future finance career.
The Financial Accountant position requires a professionally qualified accountant who possesses excellent organisational, interpersonal, and technical skills. The ability to build relationships with and influence internal stakeholders, is a key requirement, as are first class technical accounting skills. As the group is in the midst of a sustained period of growth, there is a significant focus on continuous improvement and development of reporting.
Key responsibilities include:
- To take ownership of the company’s financial reporting
- Supporting the CFO and Head of Operational Finance in the preparation and review of all the accounting and financial reporting deliverables
- Review of key finance reports (P&L /balance sheet) within monthly submission deadlines including the provision of supporting variance analysis and commentary
- Responsible for full balance sheet management, including substantiation of all reconciliation work carried out by the team
- Responsibility for compilation of annual budget and rolling forecasts
- Ownership of the fixed asset register, ensuring a clear and consistent process is adopted at all times with the addition and disposal of all company assets
- Preparation of P11d submissions to HMRC
- Review of weekly cash flow report and forecasting cashflow requirements, ensuring the information is used to drive behaviors within the business
- Lead the Statutory accounts process and liaise with the Auditors during the external audit process (multiple statutory entities)
- Oversight of monthly payroll (currently outsourced but this may change)
- Supervision of a Management Accountant (plus accounts assistant) & Practice Support Accountant
- Continuous improvement in working practices and service delivery
- Processing of monthly routine transactions, journals etc.
A strong track record of achievement both professionally and academically is required given the nature and requirements of this position.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Qualified accountant CA or ACCA with commercial awareness and business acumen
- Strong technical accounting skills including both management and statutory financial reporting
- Demonstrable ability to maintain robust financial control environment and drive process improvement/efficiency
- Exceptional Excel skills
- Experience in managing a team and multiple workloads within tight deadlines
- Effective interpersonal skills, managing communications within the finance team and across all departments in the business and external partners
- Takes responsibility for assigned processes/projects and able to progress to completion independently
- Attention to detail, highly organised and with good time management
- Strong analytical skills to support business decision making processes
- Comfortable working with high volumes of data and able to rapidly assess workflow requirements
- Inquisitive & with the ability to learn quickly
On offer a salary of £40,000-£45,000 and excellent career progression opportunities.