STV is Scotland’s home of news and entertainment, serving audiences with quality content on air, online and on demand.
STV’s broadcast channel, accessible free-to-air on all the main TV platforms in Scotland, reaches over 3 million viewers each month and is home to some of the biggest and most popular shows on television.
The channel’s first-class content includes soaps Emmerdale and Coronation Street, big drama productions, entertainment hits Britain’s Got Talent and I’m a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here, strong home-grown productions and Scotland's best, most comprehensive and most trusted news service. Flagship news programme STV News at Six continues to grow its audience share and is Scotland’s most watched news service.
The STV Player is Scotland's leading commercial video on demand service and one of the fastest growing in the UK. Viewers in STV’s broadcast licence areas can enjoy their favourite STV shows live or on demand. Additionally, there is an increasing library of Player-exclusive content – acquired through third party deals and consisting of shows not available through Channel 3 – which is available to viewers for free across the whole of the UK. There is also an ad-free subscription version, STV Player+, which offers an opportunity to watch STV programming without the adverts.
STV Studios is one of the UK’s leading content businesses and is Scotland’s biggest production company. The success of the business has accelerated over the last three years, winning increasing commissions for new returnable series at the same time as securing commissions for existing stalwarts including Catchphrase and Antiques Road Trip. The division is busier than ever with full and varied development slates for the three inhouse labels (Entertainment, Factual and Drama) as well as an increasing family of minority and majority investments across six independent producers. In scripted, productions include STV Studios’ critically acclaimed thriller The Victim for BBC One, TV film Elizabeth is Missing and drama series Screw for Channel 4. Unscripted formats include Antiques Road Trip, its sister programme, Celebrity Antiques Road Trip for BBC, Celebrity Catchphrase for ITV as well as recent wins Bridge of Lies for BBC ad Inside Central Station for BBC Scotland. Through our acquired label, BarefacedTV, we are currently in production for our first streamer commission, Zodiac Island, an astrology-dating based show filming in Greece.
STV Group plc represents a fantastic opportunity to join an iconic Scottish listed company at an exciting time in its growth strategy. The Company has a forward-thinking approach and an inclusive and collaborative culture.
Background to the Opportunity
Are you an experienced Finance Business Partner with a proven track record in managing financial controls, accounting, and reporting requirements? Can you provide insightful financial analysis that will support continued delivery of STV’s successful commercial strategy?
An opportunity has arisen in the STV Finance Team for a Business Partner – Commercial. This is a key role in the team, reporting to the Group Reporting & Treasury Manager, with dotted line reporting to the STV Commercial Director and day to day interaction with the Senior Commercial Leadership Team. This role is responsible for the accurate and timely recording and reporting of all advertising revenue generated by the Group (c.£110m in 2021) and for the provision of insights to be used by the Commercial Team in growing the business.
STV represents an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated, qualified accountant to join a dynamic business at a relatively early stage of its growth, having displayed strong revenue and profit progression in recent years and demonstrating resilience against the recent Covid-19 dominated backdrop. As one of Scotland’s few listed companies, the opportunity exposes the successful individual to the unique environment of a plc business and all that it entails.
Title: Finance Business Partner – Commercial
Responsible To: Group Finance & Treasury Manager
Location: Glasgow / Hybrid
- Revenue recognition of all national, regional and digital advertising revenues, ensuring compliance with accounting standards, agency contracts and discount structures (including accounting for STV Growth Fund contracts and payaways), promotional airtime, and any other related items
- Provision of regular accurate financial reporting and management information in relation to advertising trends, key customer analysis, segment/market insights etc
- Ownership of the accounting and reporting processes and controls underpinning the accurate and timely recording of transactions in the Group’s accounting system (Unit4) and ensuring that financial processes and controls are appropriate, documented and complied with
- The timely interfacing of month end revenues from ad-serving systems to facilitate invoicing
- Providing monthly management accounts, weekly revenue updates and other management information in a timely and accurate manner with detailed variance analysis and commentary
- The monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts
- Working with the Commercial operations and Group Finance teams in the preparation of annual budgets, quarterly forecasts and 3-year strategic plans for the Commercial team
- Developing a sound understanding of all Commercial systems and ensuring that output is accurate and appropriately interfaced with the central finance system
- Challenging existing processes and methods to provide continuous improvement opportunities, and implementing solutions where agreed
- Working effectively with external stakeholders such as ITV
- Preparing and submitting regulatory returns to OFCOM
- Preparing and presenting ad hoc reports or analyses as required
The position incorporates a blend of management reporting, internal control and process ownership, and provision of analysis and insights with key stakeholders being the Group Finance team, Commercial Leadership Team, and other senior leaders across the Group. Therefore, the successful candidate will have a combination of strong technical, analytical communication and relationship building skills.
Experience of working in the media sector, although useful, is not a specific criterion. However, it is likely the individual will come from a large firm/business background where they will be experienced in the reporting, and system and control requirements of blue-chip companies.
The broad nature of the role requires an individual who is CA/ACA or CIMA. Applicants will be considered if they are making their first move from the profession or if they are already operating in a similar capacity within industry. Certainly, it is essential that the individual displays confidence, self-motivation, and an ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels across the business.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Attainment of either CA/ACA or CIMA professional qualification
- More than 3 years’ experience in a similar role
- The ability to work with and communicate effectively across all levels of the organisation
- The ability to work under pressure, remain focussed and meet deadlines
- An inquisitive, pro-active nature with an attention to detail
- An ability to work effectively across different systems
- A strong teamwork ethos and the ability to build productive working relationships
This is a key role for the organisation and the salary and broader remuneration package is competitive, and will reflect the skills, experience, and calibre of candidates.
In addition to a competitive base salary, there are plenty of reasons why it’s great to work at STV – here are just a few of the perks for you:
- 25 days paid annual leave and 9 public holidays per annum, with the option to buy more through our Holiday Extras scheme
- An extra day’s holiday on your birthday
- Healthcare cash plan providing Company contributions towards dental, optical, wellbeing or other healthcare costs
- Company pension contribution
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket travel loan
- On-site occupational health service
- Flexible benefits portal providing a range of retail and gym discounts
Hybrid working is available to help you balance work, life, and to achieve your goals in both – we’re focused on creating an inclusive working environment where colleagues can collaborate, create and thrive to deliver results and perform at their best.
The Recruitment Process
- Initial interviews are with our retained advisors Rutherford Cross.
- First round interviews are with the Group Finance & Treasury Manager and HR.
- Second round interviews will be with the Commercial Director, Group Statutory Reporting & Tax Compliance Manager and the Chief Financial Officer.