Visualise Scotland is a charity which provides support to adults with multiple disabilities in Edinburgh and the Lothians. Starting as an action group in 1987, the original aim of organisation was to provide appropriate support for young adults after they left the Royal Blind School.
In the intervening years, they have expanded their services to cater to both adults and children with visual impairment and other disabilities such as autism and epilepsy. They run three residential and two day services, as well as providing care at home services to service users with a variety of needs. Visualise Scotland employs approximately 45 support staff and are in the process of expanding by the opening a new residential service in the late Spring.
Funded almost exclusively by local government, their aim is to provide the adults in their care with the ability to lead fulling lives and to maximise their own physical, intellectual, emotional and social potential in a supportive and inclusive environment.
Visualise Scotland’s Head Office is based in Edinburgh.
To undertake all the functions of Trustees (Directors) of the charity by furthering the work of Visualise Scotland within its charitable objectives.
- To take part in formulating and regularly reviewing the strategic aims of Visualise Scotland, and their efficient delivery.
- With other Trustees, to ensure that the policy and practices of Visualise Scotland are in keeping with its aims.
- With other Trustees, to ensure that Visualise Scotland functions within the legal and financial requirements of a charitable organisation and company limited by guarantee and strives to achieve best practice.
Formulating strategic aims
- Consider Visualise Scotland as a whole and its beneficiaries.
- Reflect Visualise Scotland’s mission and principles, strategy and major policies.
- Contribute specific skills, interests, contacts to support Visualise Scotland in fundraising activities.
Ensuring adherence to legislation
- Play a full part in ensuring that Visualise Scotland meets all its financial and legal obligations covered under company, charitable and other legislation e.g. employment.
- Ensure that Visualise Scotland is following up to date best practice in its governance functions.
Ensuring overall effectiveness and efficiency for the organisation
- Support the chief executive and senior management team in delivery of organisation’s objectives.
- Monitor delivery and performance of the organisation.
Ensuring policies and practices are in keeping with aims
- Follow the Code of Conduct at all times, particularly when exercising the functions of the Board, or any committees, sub-committees or groups.
- Attend and actively participate in meetings of the Board.
- Reflect the Board’s policies and concerns on all its committees, subcommittees and groups.
Ensuring best practice
- Be an active member of the Board in exercising its responsibilities and functions.
- Maintain good relations with the chief executive and senior managerial staff.
- Take part in training sessions provided for the benefit for the members of the Board.
- Fulfil such other duties and assignments as may be required from time.
Required Skills and Experience
Visualise Scotland are looking for people who have a Finance or HR background.
Knowledge of the adult social care or disability sectors is desirable but not essential.
What to do Next
If interested in this opportunity, please send your CV to Mark Lewis on [email protected]
Please note the assessment for this opportunity will be handled directly by Visualise Scotland which will involve an application form and interview(s).
Please note this is a voluntary appointment with a commitment of around 6-8 hours every 8 weeks and a minimum commitment of 2 years.
Expenses are available for travel costs when attending meetings.